The 6000 “Mission Handrail” will remain timeless for decades. Its simple, rectangular form complements a variety of design preferences. Whether you seek a contemporary, mission, or shaker style, this handrail will look just right on your stairway. The 6000 handrail works perfectly with our Viewrail cable rail system in both indoor and outdoor applications.
- Timeless, Simple Design
- Indoor or Outdoor
- Square Top
- Viewrail Compatible
- Widest Point: 2 ¾”
- Tallest Point: 1 ⅝”
Mounting and Finishing Information:
- Viewrail System: Pair your modern handrail with a state-of-the-art cable railing system. Design your customized cable rail system with Victor, the Viewrail Design Tool.
- Square-Top Baluster Mount: The 6000 Handrail can be plowed at widths of 1”, 1.25”, and 1.75”. When ordering plowed handrails, don’t forget to include Fillet in your order to fill the openings between balusters after installation.
- Iron Baluster Mount: Pair this handrail with your choice of Wrought Iron Balusters for timeless beauty. Design your own look with the Iron Baluster Design Tool. Be sure to include the proper mounting accessories, such as mounting kits and aluminum shoes.
- Bracket Mount: The 6000 Handrail may also be mounted using VR 453 Stainless Steel Handrail Bracket for Wall-Mounted Handrail. Be aware of code requirements in your area. Most codes require wall-mounted handrails to terminate into a wall. For that reason, Quarter Turn and 45 degree Mitred handrail endings may be necessary.
- Finishings: Handrails may be treated with Pre-Catalyzed Lacquer to protect them against the natural oils from skin. This protective layer will keep your handrail looking new and fresh for years to come. This finishing is only approved for indoor applications. Unfortunately, we do not currently offer any exterior-grade finishes. If your handrail will be used outside, you may order it unfinished and self-apply an exterior-grade finish.
- Composition: In order to achieve the correct height, our standard 6000 Handrail is manufactured using 2 pieces of wood face glued together. If you’d like your handrail to be made out of 1 piece of wood, please order the 6002 Solid Handrail.
- Rail Bolt Kit: If you plan to join two handrails, install Wooden Newels, or connect Handrail Fittings, you will need a Rail Bolt Kit or an Angled Rail Bolt Kit.
Longer handrails crafted in certain species may require joints. Though this situation is rare, joints are always constructed with color, grain-match, and strength as priorities. We utilize Scarf Joints in order to provide the strongest, most discreet joint possible.
Wood Grain & Color Variation
At StairSuppliesTM we strive to match the grain and color of all of our wood products as closely as possible. However, due to the natural character of wood products, there may be instances in which a perfect grain and color match is not possible. By ordering from StairSuppliesTM, you acknowledge that there may be some variation in the grain and color of your wood products.
This product has been used in the following "Completed Projects"
how does this product differ from the 6002 handrail, that has the same dimensions posted on your site? “6002 Handrail is 2 3/4″ at its widest point & 1 5/8″ at its tallest point. The 6002 is the perfect handrail to use with our cable rail system”
Like you pointed out the 6000 & 6002 profiles have the same dimensions. The only difference is that the 6002 is made of one piece of wood. While the 6000 is two pieces of wood, glued on top of each other in order to get to the 1 5/8″ thickness.
So, the 6002 looks more premium, and is much better for exterior use (in some wood species), since there is no glue being used.
Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Are there any finger joints in the 6002 handrail? I am interested in long lengths from 10 to 16ft.
Our 6002 handrail is always made of one solid piece of wood (which is ideal for exterior applications). But because of that we have to limit the length to 10ft long. Our 6000 handrail is always 2 pieces to get to the correct thickness, and depending on the wood species and length we occasionally have to join them together to get to the length. However, we only go scarf jointing, which is a stronger, more hidden option than finger joints.
Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Can this be mounted to the wall?
Does the width of this handrail meet building code?
can you email me a cross section drawing of this handrail? (6000 Handrail)
You should be getting the email shortly, or you can view it by clicking here. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Can this product be built with returns? Looking for a wall application. While I don’t much love the wall return look, I have been informed it’s a code thing. Thanks
Great question, Andrew. We do offer this handrail in a wall-mounted variety. It can be found here:
Can you accommodate a wider handrail? We’d like to use the top rail as a place for drinks to be served (4″-6″ wide).
Can this be mounted longways (top would be narrow side not wide-side) and still feel solid? Would plowing 1 inch in narrow side work (brackets I’m looking at measure 1″.
We could manufacture that for you! We would suggest calling in to speak with one of our sales representatives so you can describe what you need as the features you’re looking for are not available on the web. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.