Explore the possibilities with the StairSupplies™ Custom Landing Platform Designer. We understand that each home is unique and may require special dimensions. Choose from our selection of over 20 species of stain-grade wood and indicate your favorite stain or finish to bring out the natural textures of the wood. Each custom order is crafted with precision, making it simple for you to achieve the custom design you desire. A one-of-a-kind piece, fit just for your home.
If you find that this tool does not offer the options you are looking for, please contact us directly. We would be happy to answer your questions and complete your custom order over the phone.
- Depth refers to the distance from the front of the landing to the back of the landing (the body of the landing), but does NOT include the return material (available in 1″, 1 ¼”, and 1 ½”).
- Width refers to the distance between the left and right sides of the landing, NOT including the returned edging material (1 ¼” per side with returned edging). For example, a platform with a Double Return will have an overall width 2 ½” wider than the number indicated in the “width” column above.
- Thickness defaults to our 1” standard, but is also available at ¾” thick. For more thickness options, view other landing platform designers such as the Custom Thick Landing Platform Designer or the Custom Replacement Landing Platform Designer.
- Nosing comes standard on the front edge of our landings in a Bullnose style. Nosing is also available with a square edge or in a craftsman style with a ⅛” or ¼” roundover. If you select “nosing” without selecting “return”, we simply attach the nosing to the side(s) of the platform that you indicate without any mitered returns. You also have the option to have your landing platform crafted with a square edge and no nosing at all.
- Returns are mitered nosing used to create a more finished look, concealing all end grains and adding a touch of style. There are three configurations of returned edges available: Left, Right, and Double. NOTE: If both sides of the stair platform fit against a wall, you do not need returned edges.
To determine if a Left or Right Returned edge is required, stand at the bottom of the stairway and look up. If the right side is exposed, then you need a Right Returned Edge. If the left side is exposed, then you need a Left Returned Edge.
Double Return stair landings are needed when both edges of the platform are exposed. This style of landing requires a special measurement called the “throat cut”, which you will need to provide when you place your order. To find the throat cut of your Double Return landing, measure the length between the inside of the Left and Right Returned Edges (Each Returned Edge is 1 ¼”, so a Double Return has 2 ½” of additional width).
With the exception of Double Returns, all Left, Right, and No Return Platforms are sent to you with up to an extra 1” of material on the end with no return. This additional allowance may be trimmed on-site to match the exact curve of your unique wall, ensuring a snug fit.
The Custom Landing Platform Designer is meant to be a tool to estimate costs for customized orders. StairSupplies™ reserves the right to contact you to confirm your order and finalize the prices of any custom items ordered through this tool.
Clear Finish & Stain Information
StairSupplies™ offers several premium stain and finish options for our products, depending on the product’s use. For Landing Platforms, we offer both clear finishes and stains. Select a clear finish if you want to draw out the natural beauty and colors of the wood. If you prefer deeper, richer tones, our custom-mixed stains are the ideal choice for your Custom Landing Platform.
All landing platform materials and products that are used underfoot are finished with a Conversion Varnish. Strong and resilient, this varnish is standard in the hardwood flooring industry. Our team of experts apply this specialty product onto each landing platform using a spray applicator for even, flawless coverage to protect your landing platform against heavy wear and tear.
Wood Grain & Color Variation
At StairSupplies™ we believe that natural wood colors and visual textures add character to our products. With that in mind, we strive to match the grain and color of all of our wood products as closely as possible. However, due to the natural variation of wood products, there may be instances in which a perfect grain and color match is not possible. By ordering from StairSupplies™, you acknowledge that you are receiving a uniquely crafted product and there may be some variation in the grain and color of your wood products.