At StairSupplies™, we understand that not all stairs are standard. That’s why we have created this tool to help you select the exact Custom Stair Treads you need for your home.
Each of our treads are handmade out of the highest-quality materials available. Choose from our selection of over 20 species of wood and variety of stains and finishes to achieve the design you desire. Easy. Customized. Just for you.
If you find that this tool does not offer the options you are looking for, please contact us directly. We would be happy to answer your questions and complete your custom order over the phone.
- Depth refers to the distance between the front of the tread and the back of the tread, NOT including the front edging material which normally measures 1 ¼”.
- Width refers to the distance between the left and right sides of the tread, NOT including the returned edging material (1 ¼” per side with edging). For example, a tread with a Double Return will have an overall width 2 ½” wider than the number indicated in the “width” column above.
- Thickness defaults to a 1” standard on Wood Treads. Enjoy the flexibility to select a thicker or thinner tread by using the Custom Stair Tread Designer above.
- Nosing comes standard on the front edge of our 1” treads in a Bullnose style. Nosing is also available with a Square Edge or in a craftsman style with a ⅛” or ¼” Roundover. If you select “nosing” without selecting “return”, we simply attach the nosing to the side(s) of the tread that you indicate without any mitered returns. You also have the option of selecting no nosing at all.
- Returns are mitered nosing used to create a more finished look, concealing all end grains and adding a touch of style. There are three configurations of returned edges available: Left, Right, and Double. NOTE: If both sides of the stair treads fit against a wall, you do not need returned edges.
To determine if a Left or Right Returned edge is required, stand at the bottom of the stairway and look up. If the right side is exposed, then you need a Right Returned Edge. If the left side is exposed, then you need a Left Returned Edge.
Double Return stair treads are needed when both edges of the tread are exposed. This style of tread requires a special measurement called the “throat cut”, which you will need to provide when you place your order. To find the throat cut of your Double Return tread, measure the length between the inside of the Left and Right Returned Edges (Each Returned Edge is 1 ¼”, so a Double Return has 2 ½” of additional width).
With the exception of Double Returns, all Left, Right, and No Return Replacement Treads are sent to you with up to an extra 1” of material on the end with no return. This additional allowance may be trimmed on-site to match the exact curve of your unique wall, ensuring a snug fit.
The Custom Stair Tread Designer is meant to be a tool to estimate costs for customized orders. StairSupplies™ reserves the right to contact you to confirm your order and finalize the prices of any custom items ordered through this tool.
Clear Finish & Stain Information
StairSupplies™ offers several premium stain and finish options for our products, depending on the product’s use. For Wood Stair Treads we offer both clear finishes and stains. Select a clear finish if you want to draw out the natural beauty and colors of the wood. If you prefer deeper, richer tones, our custom-mixed stains are the ideal choice for your Wood Stair Treads.
All tread materials and products that are used underfoot are finished with a Conversion Varnish. Strong and resilient, this varnish is standard in the hardwood flooring industry. Our team of experts apply this specialty product onto each stair tread using a spray applicator for even, flawless coverage to protect your treads against heavy wear and tear.
Wood Grain & Color Variation
At StairSupplies™ we believe that natural wood colors and visual textures add character to our products. With that in mind, we strive to match the grain and color of all of our wood products as closely as possible. However, due to the natural variation of wood products, there may be instances in which a perfect grain and color match is not possible. By ordering from StairSupplies™, you acknowledge that you are receiving a uniquely crafted product and there may be some variation in the grain and color of your wood products.