Express your unique style with Custom Landing Treads, used to transition from tread material to the flooring in the rest of your home. At StairSupplies™ we understand that each home is different. That’s why we offer customizable products, made just for you! Crafted from high-quality wood, stained, and finished for long-lasting beauty… the results are breathtaking. Enjoy the style of Custom Landing Treads on the top step and across upstairs landings or balconies.
If you find that this tool does not offer the options you are looking for, please contact us directly. We would be happy to answer your questions and complete your custom order over the phone.
- Total Depth refers to the distance from the front of the landing tread to the back of the landing tread (the body of the landing tread) but does NOT include the overhang material (available in 1″, 1 ¼”, and 1 ½” depths).
- Nosing Depth refers to the size of the overhang at the front of the landing tread. This distance determines the overhang of your tread. Typically, landing treads have a 1 ¼” overhang, which is the depth we recommend. Larger depths, especially, can become a tripping hazard.
- Width refers to the distance between the left and right sides of the landing tread, NOT including the returned edging material (1 ¼” per side with edging). For example, a tread with a Double Return will have an overall width 2 ½” wider than the number indicated in the “width” column above.
- Body Thickness defaults to our ¾” standard on Landing Treads, designed to match the standard thickness of hardwood flooring or carpeting.
- Nosing Thickness is the measure of the overhang on the landing tread’s front edge. Select up to 2 1/2″ in nosing thickness for a “thick tread” look.
- Nosing & Return Options on custom landing treads may require special attention, due to the ¾” standard thickness combined with the thicker front nosing. You have the option to select Nosing only (no return), in which case we will only add the additional thickness but not the mitered return. If you would like no end grain visible, please select Nosing with a Mitered Return. If you have any questions about nosing and return options for Landing Treads, please give our friendly customer service team a call.
- Returns are mitered nosing used to create a more finished look, concealing all end grains and adding a touch of style. There are three configurations of returned edges available: Left, Right, and Double. NOTE: If both sides of the stair treads fit against a wall, you do not need returned edges.
To determine if a Left or Right Returned edge is required, stand at the bottom of the stairway and look up. If the right side is exposed, then you need a Right Returned Edge. If the left side is exposed, then you need a Left Returned Edge.
Double Return landing treads are needed when both edges of the tread are exposed. This style of tread requires a special measurement called the “throat cut”, which you will need to provide when you place your order. To find the throat cut of your Double Return tread, measure the length between the inside of the Left and Right Returned Edges (Each Returned Edge is 1 ¼”, so a Double Return has 2 ½” of additional width).
With the exception of Double Returns, all Left, Right, and No Return Landing Treads are sent to you with up to an extra 1” of material on the end with no return. This additional allowance may be trimmed on-site to match the exact curve of your unique wall, ensuring a snug fit.
- Nosing Style comes standard on the front edge of our treads in a Bullnose style. Nosing is also available with a square edge or in a craftsman style with a ⅛” or ¼” roundover. If you select “nosing” without selecting “return”, we simply attach the nosing to the side(s) of the tread that you indicate without any mitered returns. You also have the option to have your tread crafted with a square edge and no nosing at all.
The Custom Landing Tread Designer is meant to be a tool to estimate costs for customized orders. StairSupplies™ reserves the right to contact you to confirm your order and finalize the prices of any custom items ordered through this tool.
Clear Finish & Stain Information
StairSupplies™ offers several premium stain and finish options for our products, depending on the product’s use. For Landing Treads, we offer both clear finishes and stains. Select a clear finish if you want to draw out the natural beauty and colors of the wood. If you prefer deeper, richer tones, our custom-mixed stains are the ideal choice for your Custom Landing Treads.
All landing platform materials and products that are used underfoot are finished with a Conversion Varnish. Strong and resilient, this varnish is standard in the hardwood flooring industry. Our team of experts apply this specialty product onto each landing platform using a spray applicator for even, flawless coverage to protect your landing platform against heavy wear and tear.
Wood Grain & Color Variation
At StairSupplies™ we believe that natural wood colors and visual textures add character to our products. With that in mind, we strive to match the grain and color of all of our wood products as closely as possible. However, due to the natural variation of wood products, there may be instances in which a perfect grain and color match is not possible. By ordering from StairSupplies™, you acknowledge that you are receiving a uniquely crafted product and there may be some variation in the grain and color of your wood products.