Your home is unique and your stairway is no different. That’s why StairSupplies™ offers the Custom Replacement Landing Platforms Designer to help you create your perfect replacement landing platform. Each of our replacement parts are handmade out of the highest-quality materials available. Choose from our selection of over 20 species of wood and variety of stains and finishes to achieve the design you desire. Easy. Customized. Just for you.
If you find that this tool does not offer the options you are looking for, please contact us directly. We would be happy to answer your questions and complete your custom order over the phone.
- Total Depth refers to the distance from the front of the landing to the back of the landing (the body of the landing), but does NOT include the return material (available in 1″, 1 ¼”, and 1 ½”).
- Nosing Depth refers to the size of the wooden trim added to the front of the landing platform. This distance determines the overhang of your platform. Typically, platfroms have a 1 ¼” overhang, which is the nosing depth we recommend. Larger depths, especially, can become a tripping hazard.
- Width refers to the distance between the left and right sides of the landing, NOT including the returned edging material (1 ¼” per side with returned edging). For example, a platform with a Double Return will have an overall width 2 ½” wider than the number indicated in the “width” column above.
- Body Thickness defaults to our ½” is standard on Replacement Landing Platforms because they are designed to be placed on top of construction treads. If you are installing directly onto stringers, we suggest ordering a body thickness of at least 1” thick, depending on the width of your stringers.
- Nosing Thickness is the measure of the overhang on the landing’s front edge from top to bottom. Select up to 2 1/2″ in nosing thickness for a “thick tread” look.
- Nosing & Return Options on custom replacement landings may require special attention, due to the ½” standard thickness combined with the thicker front nosing. You have the option to select Nosing only (no return), in which case we will only add the additional thickness but not the mitered return. If you would like no end grain visible, please select Nosing with a Mitered Return. If you have any questions about nosing and return options for Replacement Landings, please give our friendly customer service team a call.
- Returns are mitered nosing used to create a more finished look, concealing all end grains and adding a touch of style. There are three configurations of returned edges available: Left, Right, and Double. NOTE: If both sides of the stair platform fit against a wall, you do not need returned edges.
To determine if a Left or Right Returned edge is required, stand at the bottom of the stairway and look up. If the right side is exposed, then you need a Right Returned Edge. If the left side is exposed, then you need a Left Returned Edge.
Double Return stair landings are needed when both edges of the platform are exposed. This style of landing requires a special measurement called the “throat cut”, which you will need to provide when you place your order. To find the throat cut of your Double Return landing, measure the length between the inside of the Left and Right Returned Edges (Each Returned Edge is 1 ¼”, so a Double Return has 2 ½” of additional width).
With the exception of Double Returns, all Left, Right, and No Return Replacement Platfroms are sent to you with up to an extra 1” of material on the end with no return. This additional allowance may be trimmed on-site to match the exact curve of your unique wall, ensuring a snug fit.
- Nosing Style comes standard on the front edge of our landings in a Bullnose style. Nosing is also available with a square edge or in a craftsman style with a ⅛” or ¼” roundover. If you select “nosing” without selecting “return”, we simply attach the nosing to the side(s) of the platform that you indicate without any mitered returns. You also have the option to have your platform crafted with a square edge and no nosing at all.
The Custom Replacement Landing Platform Designer is meant to be a tool to estimate costs for customized orders. StairSupplies™ reserves the right to contact you to confirm your order and finalize the prices of any custom items ordered through this tool.
Replacement Landing Platforms are designed to slide on top of existing stair treads. A consistent rise from step to step is important for safety and most codes require treads stay within a ⅜” zone of uniformity. StairSupplies™ replacement platforms, when installed correctly, comply with most code requirements. Be sure to check your local code specifications before purchasing Replacement Landing Platforms.
Clear Finish & Stain Information
StairSupplies™ offers several premium stain and finish options for our products, depending on the product’s use. For Replacement Landing Platforms we offer both clear finishes and stains. Select a clear finish if you want to draw out the natural beauty and colors of the wood. If you prefer deeper, richer tones, our custom-mixed stains are the ideal choice for your Replacement Landing Platforms.
All tread materials and products that are used underfoot are finished with a Conversion Varnish. Strong and resilient, this varnish is standard in the hardwood flooring industry. Our team of experts apply this specialty product onto each platform using a spray applicator for even, flawless coverage to protect your replacement landing platform against heavy wear and tear.
Wood Grain & Color Variation
At StairSupplies™ we believe that natural wood colors and visual textures add character to our products. With that in mind, we strive to match the grain and color of all of our wood products as closely as possible. However, due to the natural variation of wood products, there may be instances in which a perfect grain and color match is not possible. By ordering from StairSupplies™, you acknowledge that you are receiving a uniquely crafted product and there may be some variation in the grain and color of your wood products.