American-made, quality focused, and customized for you — StairSupplies™ can provide all of your stair and railing needs. Each wood part is formed from stain-grade, solid lumber and crafted to your specifications. Thick Treads provide a modern, one-of-a-kind look that is ideal for floating stair systems. We offer the Custom Thick Tread Designer to help you select exactly what you need for your unique home. If you don’t see what you’re looking for here, please give us a call. Our experts would be happy to assist you.
- Depth refers to the distance between the front of the tread and the back of the tread, NOT including the front edging material which normally measures between 1” and 1 ½”.
- Width refers to the distance between the left and right sides of the tread, NOT including the returned edging material (1 ¼” per side with edging). For example, a tread with a Double Return will have an overall width 2 ½” wider than the number indicated in the “width” column above.
- Thickness is what it’s all about! The width and depth are determined by the size of your stairway, but thickness is based on your personal design preference.
- Composition Styles include Edge-Glued and Butcher Block. Treads 1.25″-1.75″ thick will be edge-glued. Treads 2″-4″ thick will be “butcher block” style, face-glued and stacked.
- Nosing is standard on thick treads with a ¼” roundover on all sides. If you would like your custom treads crafted this way, please select Nosing on all 4 sides. Another Nosing style is square edges (no Nosing).
- Returns are mitered edges sometimes used on traditional stairways, but not commonly used on floating stair systems. Returned Edges cover end grain, while also adding decorative flair. There are three configurations of returned edges available: Left, Right, and Double. NOTE: If both sides of the stair treads fit against a wall, you do not need returned edges.
To determine if a Left or Right Returned edge is required, stand at the bottom of the stairway and look up. If the right side is exposed, then you need a Right Returned Edge. If the left side is exposed, then you need a Left Returned Edge.
Double Return thick stair treads are used when both edges of the tread are exposed on a traditional stairway (but NOT floating stairs). This style of tread requires a special measurement called the “throat cut”, which you will need to provide when you place your order. To find the throat cut of your Double Return tread, measure the length between the inside of the Left and Right Returned Edges. In the end, the final width of a Double Return Thick Tread equals the Throat Cut measurement plus 2 ½” (1 ¼” per Returned End).
With the exception of Double Returns, all Left and Right Returned Treads are sent to you with up to an extra 1” of material on the end with no return. This additional allowance may be trimmed on-site to match the exact curve of your unique wall, ensuring a snug fit. If you are ordering treads with No Returns, all 6 sides of the thick tread will be cut, stained, and finished to your specifications.
The Custom Thick Tread Designer is meant to be a tool to estimate costs for customized orders. StairSupplies™ reserves the right to contact you to confirm your order and finalize the prices of any custom items ordered through this tool.
Clear Finish & Stain Information
StairSupplies™ offers several premium stain and finish options for our products, depending on the product’s use. For Wood Stair Treads we offer both clear finishes and stains. Select a clear finish if you want to draw out the natural beauty and colors of the wood. If you prefer deeper, richer tones, our custom-mixed stains are the ideal choice for your Wood Stair Treads.
All tread materials and products that are used underfoot are finished with a Conversion Varnish. Strong and resilient, this varnish is standard in the hardwood flooring industry. Our team of experts apply this specialty product onto each stair tread using a spray applicator for even, flawless coverage to protect your treads against heavy wear and tear.
Wood Grain & Color Variation
At StairSupplies™ we believe that natural wood colors and visual textures add character to our products. With that in mind, we strive to match the grain and color of all of our wood products as closely as possible. However, due to the natural variation of wood products, there may be instances in which a perfect grain and color match is not possible. By ordering from StairSupplies™, you acknowledge that you are receiving a uniquely crafted product and there may be some variation in the grain and color of your wood products.