At StairSupplies™, we understand that not all stairways are created equal. That’s why we offer this tool to help you select the Custom Replacement Treads that are right for you. Each of our replacement treads are handmade out of the highest-quality materials available. Choose from over 20 species of wood and our variety of stains and finishes to achieve the design you’ve always wanted. Easy. Customized. Just for you.
If you find that this tool does not offer the options you are looking for, please contact us directly. We would be happy to answer your questions and complete your custom order over the phone.
- Total Depth refers to the overall distance from the front of the tread to the back of the tread.
- Nosing Depth refers to the size of the wooden trim added to the front of the tread. This distance determines the overhang of your tread. Typically, treads have a 1 ¼” overhang, which is the nosing depth we recommend. Larger depths, especially, can become a tripping hazard.
- Width refers to the distance between the left and right sides of the tread, NOT including the returned edging material (1 ¼” per side with edging). For example, a tread with a Double Return will have an overall width 2 ½” wider than the number indicated in the “width” column above.
- Body Thickness defaults to our ½” standard on Replacement Treads because they are designed to be placed on top of construction treads. (Note: If you are installing custom treads directly onto stringers, please be sure to use our Custom Stair Tread Designer for regular stair treads.)
- Nosing Thickness is the measure of the overhang on the tread’s front edge from top to bottom. Select up to 2 1/2″ in nosing thickness for a “thick tread” look.
- Nosing & Return Options on custom replacement treads may require special attention, due to the ½” standard thickness combined with the thicker front nosing. You have the option to select Nosing only (no return), in which case we will only add the additional thickness but not the mitered return. If you would like no end grain visible, please select Nosing with a Mitered Return. If you have any questions about nosing and return options for Replacement Treads, please give our friendly customer service team a call.
- Returns are mitered nosing used to create a more finished look, concealing all end grains and adding a touch of style. There are three configurations of returned edges available: Left, Right, and Double. NOTE: If both sides of the stair treads fit against a wall, you do not need returned edges.
To determine if a Left or Right Returned edge is required, stand at the bottom of the stairway and look up. If the right side is exposed, then you need a Right Returned Edge. If the left side is exposed, then you need a Left Returned Edge.
Double Return stair treads are needed when both edges of the tread are exposed. This style of tread requires a special measurement called the “throat cut”, which you will need to provide when you place your order. To find the throat cut of your Double Return tread, measure the length between the inside of the Left and Right Returned Edges (Each Returned Edge is 1 ¼”, so a Double Return has 2 ½” of additional width).
- Nosing Style comes standard on the front edge of our treads in a Bullnose style. Nosing is also available with a square edge or in a craftsman style with a ⅛” or ¼” roundover. If you select “nosing” without selecting “return”, we simply attach the nosing to the side(s) of the tread that you indicate without any mitered returns. You also have the option to have your tread crafted with a square edge and no nosing at all.
The Custom Replacement Tread Designer is meant to be a tool to estimate costs for customized orders. StairSupplies™ reserves the right to contact you to confirm your order and finalize the prices of any custom items ordered through this tool.
Replacement Treads are designed to slide on top of existing stair treads. A consistent rise from step to step is important for safety and most codes require treads stay within a ⅜” zone of uniformity. StairSupplies™ replacement treads, when installed correctly, comply with most code requirements. Be sure to check your local code specifications before purchasing Replacement Treads.
Clear Finish & Stain Information
StairSupplies™ offers several premium stain and finish options for our products, depending on the product’s use. For Replacement Wood Stair Treads we offer both clear finishes and stains. Select a clear finish if you want to draw out the natural beauty and colors of the wood. If you prefer deeper, richer tones, our custom-mixed stains are the ideal choice for your Replacement Wood Stair Treads.
All tread materials and products that are used underfoot are finished with a Conversion Varnish. Strong and resilient, this varnish is standard in the hardwood flooring industry. Our team of experts apply this specialty product onto each stair tread using a spray applicator for even, flawless coverage to protect your replacement treads against heavy wear and tear.
Wood Grain & Color Variation
At StairSupplies™ we believe that natural wood colors and visual textures add character to our products. With that in mind, we strive to match the grain and color of all of our wood products as closely as possible. However, due to the natural variation of wood products, there may be instances in which a perfect grain and color match is not possible. By ordering from StairSupplies™, you acknowledge that you are receiving a uniquely crafted product and there may be some variation in the grain and color of your wood products.