This page is a resource for helping you select the items that are best for your cable railing project. Once you’ve gathered all the information you need jump back to our cable railing design help form to request a quote.
Your Product Choices
Question #1: Mounting Style – Viewrail by Stair Supplies offers four mounting options: Surface, Angle Foot, Side Mount, and Slim Side Mount. Here’s what you need to know:
- Surface Mount – Surface mount posts are made to mounted to a level, horizontal surface, such as decking or stair treads. *Appropriate mounting material is required. For most applications, a triple 2×8 is recommended.
- Angle Foot – Angle Foot posts are made to be mounted to angled surface, such as a knee wall. Specialty posts are available for narrow knee walls.
- Side Mount – Side Mount posts are made to be mounted to a vertical surface, such as fascia.
- Slim Side Mount – Slim Side Mount posts are made to be mounted to a vertical surface, such as fascia. These posts do not have a wide mounting plate. Slim Side Mount posts are not available in aluminum.
Question #2: Post Material – We offer three material options for metal posts: 2205 Stainless Steel, 304 Stainless Steel, and Aluminum. Here’s what you need to know:
- 2205 Stainless Steel – This is marine-grade stainless steel. If you live within 50 miles of saltwater, we highly recommend this material.
- 304 Stainless Steel – This a beautiful stainless steel option for any installations more than 50 miles away from saltwater.
- Aluminum – This material functions well in coastal and non-coastal environments with the right powder coat.
Question #3: Post Finish – We offer a wide variety of finishes for your posts.
- Brushed finishes are not available for Cold Rolled Steel or Aluminum.
- Brushed + Electropolished (only for 2205 Stainless Steel)
- Raw Steel (only available in Cold Rolled Steel)
- Raw + Clearcoat (only available in Cold Rolled Steel)
- Powder coated Black*
- Powder coated Fashion Gray*
- Powder coated Colonial Gray*
- Powder coated Apollo White*
- Powder coated Bone White*
- Powder coated Copper Vein
- Custom powder coat colors available.
*Also available in fluoropolymer powder coat (recommended within 25 miles of saltwater).
Question #4: Handrail Material – Our metal handrail is available in 316 Stainless Steel, 304 Stainless Steel, Cold Rolled Steel, and Aluminum. See #2 above for details about these materials. We also offer wood handrail in a wide variety of species, including (see our complete wood species offering here):
The below list is our most popular handrail options.
- Red Oak
- Hard Maple
- Brazilian Cherry
- White Oak*
- American Cherry
*Woods that can be used in exterior applications.
Question #5: Handrail Finish – Finish options for our metal handrail is the same as metal posts; please refer to #3 for details. Wood handrail can be finished with stain and clear coat finishes, to see all the finish options on each type of wood view our complete wood offering.
Question #6: Cable – Our stainless steel cable comes in 1×19 5/32“ Stainless Steel Cable.
- 1×19 5/32“ Stainless Steel Cable – This cable is made from 316 stainless steel. We recommend the 1×19 for coastal applications, as its simple construction creates fewer places for surface contaminates to hide. It is wound from 1 bundle of 19 larger strands, creating a more rigid cable.
Your Project Details
This section will be more self explanatory as it’s based on your specific project.
Question #7 & 8: Project Locations.
We need to know where you plan on putting your cable railing system, so that we can ensure we’ve recommended the correct products.
Question #9: Handrail Height.
Most customers select a 39″ handrail height for their level sections, as that meets code in most areas*, and allows for the handrail to flow cleanly from stair sections to balcony sections. 95% of customers select 36″ tall handrail for stairs, if you’re in the 5% and would like a taller handrail that’s just fine we just need to know!
Question #10: Rise & Run.
If your system includes surface mount posts going up stairs we need to know the rise and run of your stairs. This allows us to custom drill your posts to ensure the cable perfectly matches the angle of your staircase. When getting us the run information please make sure NOT to count the bullnose (portion that overhangs riser), as that would result in an incorrect angle.
Question #11: Kneewall angle.
If your system has a section of stairs that is closed off with a kneewall, we need several pieces of information so that we can manufacture your angled foot posts correctly. This information allows us to custom drill your posts to ensure the cable perfectly matches the angle of your staircase (some shimming might be required to get your post perfectly square).
Question #12 & 13: Drawings & Photos.
The way that you can help us best help you, is to provide great pictures and drawings of your project. You’re obviously way more familiar with your project, so please make sure to include multiple pictures (some from far away, some more detailed). Also, we don’t need you to be an artist, but a simple drawing on a piece of paper with dimensions can greatly speed up the time it takes us to get you a quote.
If you have additional questions please don’t hesitate to ask! If you’re ready, go ahead and fill out our online Cable Railing Quotation Form. Or print of the PDF version to fill out and return once you’ve taken measurements and photos.